Saturday, June 6, 2009

My First Half-Marathon

Training for my first half-marathon gave me a sense of purpose to my workout regimen. Having vague goals like “I want to lose weight” often don’t give you the motivation you need. I never considered myself a runner and if you would have told me three years ago I would run in a half-marathon, I wouldn’t have believed you. Desperate to get back in shape after my freshman 15 weight gain I decided to try it. I took it slow, starting with a couples miles a week. I eventually developed a true love for it. The first time I experienced runners high, I was hooked!

Now I look forward to a great run to alleviate stress, a bad day or just to clear my head and I always feel so great afterwards. Not only did my fear of not being prepared for race day get me off the couch several times, the fact that I was able to accomplish something that I never thought I could do was priceless. My mom and I crossed the finish line together and although our 2hr and 40 min time is less than impressive, we all stuck together and had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions or ideas are always welcome!