Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lots’O Veggies

It has been brought to my attention that my veggie intake has been on the decline lately. I just don’t seem to have the patience, creativity or desire for them anymore. So the Veggie Rejuvenation Project was born. My goal is to incorporate a veggie into 3-4 out of 5 of my small meals a day, using herbs, spices and the oven –gasp-- (dun dun dunnnn)

My first assignment: Kale

I sautéed fresh kale in a pan with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Once it was crispy I added a dash of crushed red pepper flakes and much to my surprise it was pretty good! I ate it with hummus and chicken breast to round out the meal.

Next I ventured into Brussels sprouts, Quinoa, and Zucchini. Yup, I’m going for the guttural. Go big or go home, right?

I cut the spouts in half, arranged them on a pan. Then I mixed olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and poured it over the sprouts. I set the oven to 400 degrees and cooked them for 30-40 mins. I sprinkled some parmessan cheese on top to add a little extra falvor!

And in honor of this ridiculously premature winter Mother Nature so graciously bestowed upon us, I picked up a succulent organic acorn squash at the local health food store.

I cut the squash in half (hot dog style- circa kindergarten class folding paper) and scooped out the seeds. I poured maple syrup (sugar free of course) a spray of butter flavoured pam and a pinch of S&P. I set the two halves on a pan filled with a little bit of water so the skin didn’t stick to the pan and put it in the oven for an hour and 15 mins. Once it cooled I scooped the contents out into a bowl and added cranberries and almonds. It was absolutely DELISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions or ideas are always welcome!