I have searched high and low, near and far for the healthiest pizza known to (wo)man, because lord knows, a girls gotta eat some pizza in her life and not feel guilty about it!!
Here are a few rules of thumb to keep in mind:
1. Always opt for thin crust over thick and you’ll be saving yourself a lot of unnecessary calories and starchy carbs.
2. Load on the veggies and lay off the meat. Obviously if you can sneak in some healthy toppings it’s better than nothing.
3. Order a salad first and try to fill up on that before you dive head first into the real deal, an average slice of pizza is about 300 calories and 11 grams of fat a pop, and we all know how hard it is to stop after just one…
4. If you have the option order whole wheat crust over white, you’ll get an extra dose of fiber and feel full on less.
5. Wash it down with water rather than a Coke. The sugar in pop will spike your insulin and make you want to eat more, not to mention sugar turns to fat increasing your caloric intake. Needless to say, water is 0 cals, 0 sugar, 0 g fat and 0 carbs....you can fill up on this curbing your appetite so by half time of the game you’re a half a pizza deep!
* Pizza Fit n’ free- These little guys are fat free, sugar free and come in the appropriate serving size so it makes it harder to overdo it. They are considered a “cheat” food so having some veggies on the side wouldn’t hurt you. You have to order them online but at $19.49 for six I say why not?
* Amy’s frozen no cheese pizza, add your own veggies- I sautéed spinach and mushrooms and sprinkled on my own low fat mozzarella cheese and saved myself a lot of calories without sacrificing the taste.
* Make it yourself! This is the only sure-fire way it will be as healthy (and tasty) as it can be. You can buy a whole wheat pita, marinara sauce (mixed with pesto and chopped basil), low fat cheese, veggies and spices at the store and whip up your own pizza pie! It’s a fun thing to do with your significant other, friends or family.