Monday, April 20, 2009

Down Dog!

Whether it was the disinterest of crouching on the floor humming ‘Om’s’and ‘Ah’s’ or the horror of attempting to twist myself into animal shapes, yoga never seemed like a viable workout to me. I can say with confidence that I have tried just about every workout regimen out there from plyometrics to pilates and from buns of steel to Zumba, you name it, I’ve tried it. After once again being struck by the ever present workout boredom I took a very sceptical try at yoga. Hardly being able to walk the next day my scepticism was replaced by awe. The way in which these self-described “yogi’s” intertwined their bodies in indescribable positions was enough to get me hooked. Not only does yoga encourage flexibility which encourages muscle strength and decreases chance of injury, but it also helps tone nearly every part of your body. It doesn’t require any expensive machinery or tools, and you can do it almost anywhere. I have noticed the biggest difference in my abs and legs, which for women are the two main problem areas. And for all you iron pumping men out there, I double DOG dare you to try it and tell me it’s not a great workout!

If you’re in the Bloomington area vibe yoga offers some great classes including Vinyasa Flow 2, Hot Fusion and cardiyoga. And if you’re in the Minneapolis area there are several location of Core Power studios that offer the best hot yoga class I’ve ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions or ideas are always welcome!